Now that we are finally 100% into the fall and actual Fall weather temps, my head and stomach have been craving comfort foods. I loved the idea of making the ultimate comfort food, Shepherd’s Pie. It is always delicious, always filling and pretty darn healthy. My Family loves it and my youngest Daughter Hayli offered to give me a hand in the kitchen. The standard Shepherd’s Pie is just as delicious as the Mini’s, but I love the idea of grabbing one really quick, popping it into the microwave and enjoying a quick snack, or grabbing a few and making it a meal.
With the exception of the pie crust, all of the ingredients were in my house, so I didn’t have to spend anytime at the store. It was a pretty quick process of prepping for the oven and we spent about 15 minutes with each of us doing the work and of course, Hayli directing things :). In total, it took about 50 minutes from prep time to the dinner table.
The awesome thing about the Shepherd’s Pie Mini’s was that my Family could try one and then another, and then another. Talk about delicious! Golden brown mashed potatoes covering a delicious mixture of wonderfully flavored combination of ground beef, peas, carrots, onions, corn and garlic on top of a soft and somewhat crunchy pie crust. Not only was it another home run with my Family, it was that quick burst of deliciousness and energy that I needed to get me through for the next couple of days.
- 2 tablespoons flour, plus more for work surface
- 2 sheets refrigerated pie crust
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1½ cup prepared mashed potatoes
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 and coat a muffin tin with cooking spray. Lightly flour a work surface and roll out pie crust. Using a glass, cut pie crust into rounds. Place pie crust in each cup and gently down.
- Bake until lightly golden about 6-8 minutes.
- To make beef mixture: Over medium heat, in large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion, carrots and garlic and cook until softened about 5 minutes. Add ground beef and onion salt and cook until no loner pink and drain fat.
- Stir in frozen peas and frozen corn and cook until warmed through about 3 minutes.
- Move mixture to one side of the skillet and melt butter on the empty side. Add flour and whisk until combined and golden then pour in beef broth.
- Combine with meat mixture and cook until thickened about 3 minutes.
- Fill baked pie crusts with with ground beef mixture and top with a large spoonful of mashed potatoes.
- Bake until golden brown about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy!