I woke up to another day of colder weather that finally felt like Fall and it seemed like the perfect day to stay inside. I hit the kitchen early and cooked up a couple things for breakfast, lunch, and of course, for the blog. Hayli was still in bed when I was in the Kitchen, but she did an awesome job when she woke of eating the breakfast skillet I made :). She suddenly realized that she wasn’t there to help me out as usual and insisted we make something else. Breakfast, check. Lunch, check. Dinner…going out. The next and pretty much only option left was a dessert or snack. Hayli found a recipe for Peanut Butter Pretzel M&M Cookies and got my buy in immediately.
The great thing about these cookies is that they have a ton of peanut butter flavor and the perfect amount of chocolate. The addition of the pretzel pieces added a crunch to the gooey cookie that was a home run. Prep time was about 15 minutes and another 30 minutes of chill time in the refrigerator before the baking began. 8-9 minutes in the oven and a few minutes to cool and they were done and ready for a test drive.
Hard on the outside and gooey (gooey) on the inside. Sweet, Salty, Crunchy and chocolaty is how Hayli described them to me after devouring several, and I couldn’t agree more. My Son had about 30 of his friends over that evening and after putting the cookies out, they literally lasted less than 5 minutes with several of his friends asking me for the recipe. Love this different twist on the chocolate chip cookie and another definite go to snack in my house during the Holiday season and beyond.
- ½ cup salted butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar (or dark brown)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup M&M's
- ¾ cup pretzel pieces
- in a large bowl, using a hand held mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together on a medium speed. Beat in the peanut butter, egg and vanilla (in that order). Beat in the baking soda and flour. Do not over mix. Fold in the M&M's and pretzels. cover the dough tightly and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop dough onto ungreased cookie sheet. Press down to slightly flatten them out. Bake for 8-9 minutes. Cookies will be soft and may appear undone. They will firm up as they cool. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Cookies stay fresh at room temperature in an air tight container for 10 days.