After a holiday week of gorging on a ton of food, some healthy and some not so healthy, I searched for a meal that would not result in expanding my waistline any further, but still tasted amazing. My fear was that in searching for something relatively low calorie that I might get something bland and boring. Fortunately, I found this amazing stir-fry recipe in the latest Food Network magazine and I have to admit that it really was amazing….seriously, it was delicious and I just finished eating two plates.
The chicken was sauteed, giving it a juicy flavor. Add broccolini, scallions, red, orange and yellow baby bell peppers, a touch of garlic and jalapeno peppers and cashews and get an unbelievable combination of flavor with a little spice. I substituted soy sauce for the oyster sauce and mixed with sweet Japanese rice wine to add a little sweetness and make everything really pop!
35 minutes of prep and cook time and it was ready to be served. I had two huge servings and could have had another, but saved a plate for tomorrows lunch. I am happy to say that this stir-fry recipe is now at the top of my stir-fry list…..by far!
- 1 tablespoon of egg whites
- 1 tablespoon of mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine)
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into ½ inch cubes
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- 2 bunches of broccolini, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 bunch of scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 to 5 baby bell peppers, sliced into rings (assorted colors)
- 1 to 2 red jalapeno peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup of sliced cashews
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg whites, mirin and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in a medium bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat.
- Whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, soy sauce and ½ cup of water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the broccolini to the boiling water and cook until crisp-tender about 1-2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Increase the heat to high and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add the scallions, bell peppers and jalapenos and stir fry 1 more minute. Add the chicken, broccolini and nuts and stir-fry 2 more minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, whisk the soy sauce mixture and add to the skillet. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 3 minutes.