So, today my kids wanted barbecued wings and I wanted to try something new, five spice chicken wings. In the spirit of the two NFL games, we decided to flip a coin and for once, I won and chose the Five Spice wings. Don’t get me wrong, I love the BBQ wings and think I have pretty much mastered making them, but a friend of mine recently made the five spice wings and said how amazing they were, so I was in.
I used a Chinese five spice powder combined with a honey glaze and let the wings marinate for four hours. The marinade included honey, soy sauce, ginger, cinnamon, peppercorn and cayenne pepper to give it a mild kick that really made the wings.
After waiting patiently for the wings to marinate, I baked them for a total of 40 minutes while basting them on occasion with the remaining marinade. After that, they were good to go and were absolutely delicious! Tender, loaded with flavor and worth the wait. Fortunately, I doubled up the recipe as I had three hungry kids waiting patiently to chow down and was rewarded with an empty plate. Love it when we take a chance and try something different that ends up being a huge win.
- 12 chicken wings
- 1 cup of honey
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons of Chinese five spice powder
- 4 teaspoons of ginger
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Sesame seeds and chopped green onions if desired
- Place chicken wings in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey, vegetable oil, soy sauce, five spice powder, ginger, salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- Pour 1 cup of mixture and chicken wings in a resealable bag and turn to coat.
- Refrigerate for four hours to marinate.
- When wings are fully marinated, heat oven to 400.
- Drain chicken wings and place on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes, turning once. Bake 15-20 minutes longer until chicken is fully cooked, basting occasionally with remaining marinade.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions if desired.