I promised another appetizer before the big Super Bowl weekend and I really wanted to give you something a little different, but like always, something super tasty and something you and your friends will love. Unlike my other recommendations that were pretty quick to make and serve, this will require a little patience as you will be using your slow cooker to cook the pork roast to tender perfection.
In prepping the meat for the slow cooker I added lime juice, a mesquite marinade mix, sugar and basil olive oil from my friends at Hatun Olive Oil. While letting the slow cooker do its job for about 6 hours, I had time to relax and prepare the salsa and a little later, the French baguettes. When the Pork was tender (and tasty) it shred very easily and then Hayli took over from there….seriously, I stepped aside and let her run the show and put it all together.
The finished product was ready for the typical taste test of the family. Hayli put together about 30 crostinis using a fresh French baguette, salsa, feta cheese and of course, the shredded pork. Thanks to Hayli (my sidekick and sometimes leader…) they looked amazing and did not disappoint. I would say that they can be an appetizer during the week or a perfect game day party snack. They are tasty, filling, and full of flavor. Hope you like as much as we did! Recipe inspired by Taste of Home.
- 1 boneless pork shoulder (about 2 pounds)
- ½ cup of lime juice
- 2 packages of mesquite marinade mix
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- Salsa: 1 cup of frozen or canned corn
- 1 cup of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of chopped, seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crostini: 30 slices of fresh French baguette cut ¼ inch thick
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- ⅔ cup of feta cheese
- Lime wedges
- Place pork roast in slow cooker. In a small bowl, whisk lime juice, marinade mix, sugar and olive oil until blended and pour over roast. Cook covered on low for 6-8 hours until meat is tender.
- In a medium bowl, combine corn, beans, tomato and jalapeno. Stir in lime juice, oil and seasonings.
- Preheat broiler and brush bread slices on each side with olive oil. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Broil 3-4 inches from heat about 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove pork roast from slow cooker, cool slightly and shred. Layer each crostini with pork, salsa and cheese.