I don’t eat hot dogs often, but a few months ago I stopped at a local Shake Shack restaurant and had a hot dog that was amazing! It wasn’t just a hot dog, it was a hot dog with relish, red bell peppers, onions, salsa, ketchup, mustard and probably a few things I can’t quite remember, but it was DELICIOUS!! I was thinking about that hot dog this weekend and was craving it. Most will say there is no such thing as a healthy hot dog, but I say it’s okay to indulge your cravings once in awhile. After all, I hit the gym 7 days this week so surely I was due for a reward of some kind… at least that’s what I told myself :).
It took me a little longer than usual to get them ready to eat. I usually put the hot dog in the microwave, put the standard mustard and ketchup on them, maybe a little relish and woof them down in seconds. To make one as delicious as the one that I had at Shake Shack, would take me a little more time. I needed to grill a few ears of corn, dice some red peppers, jalapenos, green onion, red cabbage and cilantro then add salt, paprika, red pepper flakes, and avocado. After grilling the hot dogs and adding all of the toppings along with some ketchup and mustard, I was good to go.
I shouldn’t admit this, but they were as good as I expected them to be. They were definitely not my Dad’s hot dogs. They had a little sweet, a little spice and a whole lot of flavor wrapped between one bun, or in my case, three buns. I am not a hot dog eating guy very often, but when I do get that craving (which is probably going to be pretty often now) I am going to go with these. Recipe inspired by heartbeat Kitchen.
- 6 beef hot dogs and 6 hot dog buns
- 3 ears of corn, shucked
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ cup of diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup of diced orange bell pepper
- ⅓ cup of finely diced pickled jalapeno peppers
- ⅓ cup of diced green onion
- ¼ cup of fresh minced cilantro
- 2 medium avocados mashed
- ½ cup of red cabbage
- Salt and red pepper flakes to taste
- Heat grill to medium high. Brush corn with olive oil. Grill for a few minutes on all sides until char marks appear. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Turn grill down to medium and cook hot dogs until golden brown on all sides.
- Cut corn off of the cobs and place in a large bowl. Add diced peppers, jalapenos, onion and cilantro, mix together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot dogs in buns and top with salsa mixture, avocado and cabbage.